Thursday, December 14, 2006

Which beggar...

I love Pondicherry.. I love the name I love the comparative calm.. although you have not seen a traffic jam till you see one when the kids are leaving school at lunch time. School pickup in Melbourne is an oasis of calm and consideration in comparison...and I even love the beggars..

But the beggar question bugs me.. some guidebooks get a little superior about begging suggesting we should donate to charities rather than to individuals hassling on the street. And certainly there is an art to the appearance of desperate poverty. I saw a women with a tiny toddler walking around the beach begging, and then after a short rest where her husband brought water for her and the child she was walking up the beach again. What surprised me later on when I walked past them was the husband had suddenly developed a disease of the legs and could no longer walk lying against some steps pleading for "ma" whatever that was..

On the other hand I see so many locals giving money to beggars and considering that there seems to be a lot of men just wandering the streets or working for a couple of rupees a day maybe the begging gig is as good as anyway to feed a family. A shoe shine man was "begging" me to come get my birkenstocks shined???

Then I was wondering if I give to a beggar what's a good outing for them.When I gave one old woman 10 rupees she looked as though she was blessing me (about 30cents) and another I gave 5rupees too and she looked like it wasn't great..

I didn't factor the 10rupees a day into the budget (I am only joking here).. but do I give to just one beggar a day or let me get hassled all day. And should I also start buying the drums and beads that I get hassled to buy...

So there is my beggar bother... just what is a good thing for a beggar and how much is too much???

It cant be much I paid 3 rupees for a coffee in a street cafe this morning which was lovely.. (not even 10 cents)... and much more interesting than going to a cafe catering for Eurpeans none of who smile at you or to anyone for that matter.

No comments: