Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Riding the horn

The thing that is making me giggle about getting around the streets of Chennai and it seems any city is the driver constantly tooting to make himself noticed (if he is little) or get people out of the way (if he is driving a big modern bus). And they have some quite creative horn sounds from dolphin imitations to clown whistles to your standard beep beep... and there's a whole lot of tooting going on.

Yesterday I decided to accept the genuinely persistent offer from my stalker autorickshaw guy who wanted to take me on a tour of the city.. for a small fee. He pretty much followed me every time I left the hotel and well I thought its the easiest way to see Chennai.. but I should have clarified the route and finish time. We went to the beach which was misty and hard to photograph and had heaps of huts lining the path to the beach selling everything from watches to a mysteriously dodgy looking palm sugar juice drink being produced on a machine that should be in a museum. I went to some temples - they are fantastic places and although its great to see I wasnt allowed in the main area (strangely I got all the way around before they realised a Non -Hindu had arrived). And just when I had enough of the tour.. one more stop.. nearly all they way out to the airport (before I realised what was happening anyway)... to go to "the snake park" which was closed. After that the guy seemed genuinely dissapointed that I wasnt happy with his tour, and well he probably got his family feed for the year with what I ended up paying..

Last night I headed to Pondicherry on what was meant to be the airconditioned bus.. they should call it refrigerated. The bus was also meant to arrive at 7 but it got mixed up with the bus that left at 6 to arrive at 10... and I wasnt the only one confused.. a local couple coming up for a day trip were looking just as bewildered about our trip. I arrived and found another autorickshaw guy to take me to my guest house...

The funny thing about India is that whatever I do seems to attract a crowd of helpers. Last night when I asked the rickshaw guy if he knew where Ram guesthouse was he didnt know so I pulled out my book and within seconds two more guys appeared.. one of them knew enough English to look and he then whipped out his mobile to ring the guesthouse gave the driver directions and then disappeared.. which was wonderful after the bus trip which should have been three hours but turned into five...

At least the guesthouse lives up to its guidebook promise. I used to be a bit reluctant to use the book but it has made things a hell of a lot easier apart from getting room bookings as all the other travellers clutching their lonely planet must have got in before me.

Now to see Pondicherry...

No comments: